Edmonton, AB – Dr Spencer Proctor, a member of Dr Peter Jones’s Advanced Foods and Materials Network research team working on conjugated linoleic acid and related dairy fatty acids at the University of Alberta, is the winner of the Biannual Wiebe Visser International Dairy Nutrition Prize 2008.
This prize is given by the Utrecht Group in the Netherlands. Dr Proctor received the award for his research in:
– Specialities in cardio vascular disease and related lipid research.
– The link between dairy fat and progression of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
– Fundamental fat transport pathways.
– Trans fat and ruminant trans fat.
– Findings on why dairy TFA’s act differently to PHVO.
He was also recognized for his track record in communication with the dairy industry, including being a participant on the Canadian Council for Food and Nutrition.
The prize consists of US$10,000 and the opportunity to address the audience of the Nutrition and Health Session of IDF`s World Dairy Summit in Mexico in November.